icon_merkliste
Old folder of the Hotel Saalbacher Hof
Content

History

From a forge to a 4-star hotel

The name Saalbach (formerly Salpach) was first mentioned in documents as early as 1350. The name originated from the stream that flows through the village (the Spielberg Stream is next to the hotel) and ends in the river Saale (Saalach).
It all started in the workshop...
In 1688 Christoph Felseisen ran a blacksmiths on the site of the present hotel Saalbacher Hof.

In 1799 our own relative Matthias Dschulnigg worked as a master craftsman at the blacksmiths. The workshop provided ten buckets, water scoops and two fire ladders for the village that could be used by the community in case of fire. Matthias’ son Jakob Dschulnigg married Magdalena Felseisen in 1808 and in 1811 their son Johann was born.
Saalbach in 1926 in winter
School ski course in Saalbach in 1934
Post card of a winterly Saalbach from 1938
Guest house Dschulnigg around 1949/50
Between 1827 and 1849 Jakob Dschulnigg was the mayor of Saalbach.

In 1832 he took over the blacksmiths from his son Johann. In 1836 he also bought the ‘Pichelhof’ (which today is called Tannenhof) and the Bäckstätt. Just like his father before him Johann Dschulnigg also became the mayor of Saalbach and stood office between 1851 and 1856.

His son Johann Franz Dschulnigg was born in 1856 and inherited the blacksmiths in 1884. Just like his forefathers he became mayor of the village between 1891 and 1900.

In 1895 Johann Franz Jr. established the first power station in Saalbach on the site of our sun terrace. Shortly afterwards the first two street lamps appeared in Saalbach and were powered from the little power station. At the turn of the century everyone in the region was having to fight for their livelihoods so Maria Dschulnigg reduced electricity prices for the local school, community hall and for street lighting.

In 1920 Hans Dschulnigg, Johann Franz’ son, was born.

In 1927 the blacksmiths had to give way to the need for tourism in the village and was moved to a spot behind the main house. The old blacksmiths was converted into a bed and breakfast establishment.

In 1932 Juliane Dschulnigg was awarded a license to run a boarding house for tourists.
Summer image from Saalbach from 1939
View to Saalbach in summer (1941)
Boarding house Dschulnigg around 1951
Indoor photo from the Hotel Saalbacher Hof around 1953
In 1945 and 1946 Johann Fritz Junior Dschulnigg was the mayor of Saalbach. His son Hans returned from war and heard that the Americans had built a cable car transportation system in Mittersill. He was allowed to personally visit the cable car and permitted to transport parts of the cable car to Saalbach to build a ski lift. A major success! The technical requirements were all there, but the money wasn’t so Hans Dschulnigg took up the job of persuading habitants of the village to take some risk and to invest in the ski lift project. He managed to convince them and in 1945 the Ski Lift Organisation of Saalbach was formed. This group of forward thinking pioneers took an adventurous step and opened the first lift on the south side of the Kohlmais Mountain in 1946. The lift was 1800m long and the longest drag lift in the whole of Austria.

1948 Hannes Dschulnigg, the son of Hans and Friedl Dschulnigg was born.

1950 Hans was awarded a license to run a hotel.

1954 Hans Dschulnigg took over the Tannenhof. The Saalbacher Hof got bigger and bigger step by step from that moment on.

1955 the dining room was built.

1962 the north wing of the Saalbacher Hof was built.

1964 as a special highlight an outdoor pool was built on the ground of the Tannehofs.

1969 the Café was built.
Summer vacation in the Hotel Saalbacher Hof - that's how it looked like in 1957
Winter photo from the Hotel Saalbacher Hof in 1958
The Saalbacher Hof slightly changed around 1960
The new pool at the Tannenhof in the 60s / 70s
1970 until this year at 5 o'clock a band always played at the dining room. This changed as the "Castello" opend it's doors for the first time.

1971 The north wing was extended and linked to the old Tannehof by a bridge.

1974 The Saalbacher Hof Hotel GesmbH & CoKG was set-up and both houses were managed by the same company. 

1992 Hans Dschulnigg passed on the company to his son Hannes who had been involved with the hotel from a very young age. 

1996 The café was converted into the conservatory

1998 Construction of Rocky Indoor Pool and Spa

2001 Construction of second staff building

2002 Conversion of Tannenhof

2010 The traditional house from the 16th Century was torn down and replaced with the new building

2013 During the summer we celebrated 80 years of hospitality with our old and new friends.

This is how the Hotel Saalbacher Hof looked like at the beginning of this millennium (2002)
Photo from the Castello from the 1970s
Your hosts - Family Dschulnigg & Geissler
The Hotel Saalbacher Hof today
World Games of Mountainbiking
Event
World Games of Mountainbiking
From 7 - 10 September 2017, amateur and licensed bikers will be competing again at the World Games. For the 19th time, the World Games champions will be determined in the marathon and downhill racing disciplines. Four years ago, a new marathon route stretching 58 km was added to the three existing ones and has become a fixed point in the World Games. The kids, too, can take part in their own downhill race at the World Games. With altitudes between 1,000 and 2,100 metres, the grass-covered mountains of the Pinzgau Grasberge provide the ideal conditions for the competition. 
07.09. - 10.09.2017
Events
Event
Events
If you’ve never been there, beware: Three days and three nights, practically no sleep, on 10 floors: full throttle – for the 24th time this year.   Rave on Snowis more than just a party. Rave on Snow is the “Christmas party” in the club scene, a wintry gathering that also promises the hottest parties even when it’s below zero.Rave on Snow has always stood for audiovisual innovation and quality.Numerous acts have found their way to the line ups at many top international clubs as well as the charts thanks to Rave on Snow.Most have remained loyal to Rave on Snow over the years and always look forward to presenting their sets at this special event.  Dance to more than70 DJs & live acts!
14.12. - 17.12.2017
Con.clave No. 4
Event
Con.clave No. 4
In the summer of 2017 the con.clave will take place for the fourth time. During this special week, the Saalbacher Hof will offer seven different artists a stage for their creative expression. The word "conclave" is of Latin origin and means a room that can be locked up (cum clave - "with key"). The Saalbacher Hof provides a room for one week to seven international artists in which to work. This artistic focus marks a dialogue between artists, guests, and the population. Retrospectively, a lot was also going on again last summer. Ina Loitzl (who was also chosen as patron for the 2017 con.clave) inspired all with her paper-cut technique and DI Tanja Prušnik led her Spurensuche (Search for Traces) to two old trees in the garden where she impressively displayed her installation during the show. Through exceptional interest generated by Michael Jank’s cloud paintings, the artist spontaneously invited our guests to a “cloudspotting talk” in the library. Then Ina Loitzl and Tanja Prušnik shared their TED-Talk with us. The Artist Talks were thus born. Particular attention was paid to Anamari Hrup’s Abandoned Plants Sanctuary, with a possibility to adopting a plant with certificate during the vernissage and which was also the theme of her Master’s thesis. The search for abandoned plants, however, turned out to be extremely difficult, because Anamari—according to her own statements—did not find half-dried out or half-dead plants in Saalbach to take care of—because everything in Saalbach was so “taken care of” already. Fortunately, she discovered the old plant container at the cemetery, and so, at the vernissage, many potted plants awaited people willing to adopt and take care of them. From our guests and hotel colleagues to the mayor, there were enough people interested in the art to give them a new home. The con.clave no. 4 will take place this year from June 25 to July 2, 2017. On July 1 you can admire the works of art created under the influence of the Saalbacher Hof and Saalbach at the vernissage at 6:30 p.m. We are looking forward to you coming. Gallery ArtBox open daily from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Be on familiar terms: In addition to numerous, bookable painting workshops and discussions for interested parties, in 2017 our Artist Talks will be held regularly. Book our special con.clave package for 7 days from € 710.
25.06. - 02.07.2017
Hiking (7 nights)
from
€ 590,-
Offer
Hiking (7 nights)
Hiking holiday in Saalbach—the Hotel Saalbacher Hof in the centre of Saalbach is perfect for this. We have put together a comprehensive hiking package for you.
09.06. - 21.06.2017
FIND HOLIDAY THEME CLOSE

The description of the next image is:.

Header area

title of previous image

title of next image

You are currently in this document

ou are currently on the subpage of this link

Press "Enter" to enlarge this area

” was added to the watch list
Go to watch list