From a blacksmiths to a four star hotel
It all started in the workshop
The name Saalbach (formerly Salpach) was first mentioned in documents as early as 1350. The name originated from the stream that flows through the village (the Spielberg Stream is next to the hotel) and ends in the river Saale (Saalach).
In 1699 Christoph Felseisen ran a blacksmiths on the site of the present hotel Saalbacher Hof.
In 1799 our own relative Matthias Dschulnigg worked as a master craftsman at the blacksmiths. The workshop provided ten buckets, water scoops and two fire ladders for the village that could be used by the community in case of fire. Matthias’ son Jakob Dschulnigg married Magdalena Felseisen in 1808 and in 1811 their son Johann was born.
Between 1827 and 1849 Jakob Dschulnigg was the mayor of Saalbach. In 1832 he took over the blacksmiths from his son Johann. In 1836 he also bought the ‘Pichelhof’ (which today is called Tannenhof) and the Bäckstätt. Just like his father before him Johann Dschulnigg also became the mayor of Saalbach and stood office between 1851 and 1856.
His son Johann Franz Dschulnigg was born in 1856 and inherited the blacksmiths in 1884. Just like his forefathers he became mayor of the village between 1891 and 1900.
In 1895 Johann Franz Jr. established the first power station in Saalbach on the site of our sun terrace. Shortly afterwards the first two street lamps appeared in Saalbach and were powered from the little power station. At the turn of the century everyone in the region was having to fight for their livelihoods so Maria Dschulnigg reduced electricity prices for the local school, community hall and for street lighting.
In 1920 Hans Dschulnigg, Johann Franz’ son, was born.
In 1927 the blacksmiths had to give way to the need for tourism in the village and was moved to a spot behind the main house.
The old blacksmiths was converted into a bed and breakfast establishment and in 1932 Juliane Dschulnigg was awarded a license to run a boarding house for tourists.
In 1945 and 1946 Johann Fritz Junior Dschulnigg was the mayor of Saalbach. His son Hans returned from war and heard that the Americans had built a cable car transportation system in Mittersill. He was allowed to personally visit the cable car and permitted to transport parts of the cable car to Saalbach to build a ski lift. A major success! The technical requirements were all there, but the money wasn’t so Hans Dschulnigg took up the job of persuading habitants of the village to take some risk and to invest in the ski lift project. He managed to convince them and in 1945 the Ski Lift Organisation of Saalbach was formed. This group of forward thinking pioneers took an adventurous step and opened the first lift on the south side of the Kohlmais Mountain in 1946. The lift was 1800m long and the longest drag lift in the whole of Austria.
1948 Hannes Dschulnigg, the son of Hans and Friedl Dschulnigg was born.
1954 Hans Dschulnigg took over the Tannenhof. The Saalbacher Hof got bigger and bigger step by step from that moment on.
1955 the dining room was built
1962 the north wing of the Saalbacher Hof was built.
1964 as a special highlight an outdoor pool was built on the ground of the Tannehofs.
1970 until this year at 5 o'clock a band always played at the dining room. This changed as the "Castello" opend it's doors for the first time.
1971 The north wing was extended and linked to the old Tannehof by a bridge.
1996 The café was converted into the conservatory
2001 Construction of second staff building
2002 Conversion of Tannenhof